This is the second courthouse to have served Jefferson County, the first one, an 1832 Greek Revival structure, stood on this same site. The north-south section of this building was completed in 1869 at a cost of $86,413. An east-west wing, added in 1927, was detailed carefully to blend with the original. The proportions are generally classically-derived and formal, particularly the bell tower and the swag ornamentation in the gable ends. Much of the interior is trimme in white marble.
court 1.jpgCH 4.jpgC H 5.jpgC H 6.jpg
Captured Slot Machines in the Basement
court 3.jpgcourt 4.jpg

This project was developed by the Jefferson County History Center, in partnership with Historic Brookville Inc. and the Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce. Funding for this project has been provided through grants made possible by the Jefferson County Hotel Tax Committee, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Region, and Pennsylvania Great Outdoors