Architecture:

This spectacular Italianate commercial building was the work of Col. Silas J. Marlin (1828-1889), a Civil War veteran who was brevetted to the rank of Colonel at Appomattox, for gallantry. His fortunes were made in lumbering, and in April 1883, he began construction of his greatest monument, including the generally untouched Marlin Opera House, which occupies the second and third stories of the eastern portion of the building. This 900-seat hall operated only from 1884 until about 1902. During construction, the wood cornice on this building was described as, "the neatest and handsomest in town." The two easternmost storefronts are Brookville's only original 19th century fronts and date from the original construction of the building.
Texas_Steer_Cast-Marlin.png
IMG_2511.JPG
Wall Decoration
IMG_2495.JPG
Original Seating
MarlinSectionSign.png
Seating for 750 people
MarlinStageDetail.png
Stage Decoration
Marlin Opera House on Main Street -McCabe building.jpg
Stage used for modern band practice

This project was developed by the Jefferson County History Center, in partnership with Historic Brookville Inc. and the Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce. Funding for this project has been provided through grants made possible by the Jefferson County Hotel Tax Committee, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Region, and Pennsylvania Great Outdoors