Architecture:

Built in 1868 by John McCracken, the upper facade of this building has 5 bays, paired brackets at the cornice line, and a hipped roof with a glazed belvedere. The third floor auditorium remains largely intact from the 19th centurey with the walls and ceilings elaborately decorated as was the custom in the day.

This is the earliest remaining performance hall left in Brookville and in a time before movies, radio or television was a center of entertainment for the community which was the scene of early plays, musical events, lectures and community gatherings.

In 1885 the local Methodist congregation used the hall for their services while their new church was under construction.



scan0006.jpg
Landmark Square 1970
Add1.JPG
Hand bill for 1876 program
Add2.JPG
Lower portion of same handbill
Hall.JPG
Dance Hall with stairwell in center of room
IMG_2200.JPG
Ceiling facing Main Street
ceiling1.JPG
Ceiling with national emblems
Eagle.JPG
U. S. Decoraton on ceiling


This project was developed by the Jefferson County History Center, in partnership with Historic Brookville Inc. and the Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce. Funding for this project has been provided through grants made possible by the Jefferson County Hotel Tax Committee, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Region, and Pennsylvania Great Outdoors