Architecture:

This 4-story Colonial Revival-inspired structure was built to replace the original Jefferson House, an 1828 hotel. The new building was owned by Philip J. Allgier, who had also operated the earlier Jefferson House. It served as a hotel until 1918, when Pittsburgh architect Harry S. Blair built a theater addition at the rear. Originally, a 2-story portico was centered on the facade/ this was replaced by the theater marquee.



The first ever motion picture to be shown at the Columbia Theatre was a silent film called Tarzan of the Apes (1918). The film starred actor Elmo Lincoln as Tarzan and actress Enid Markey as Jane, and was the first of many film adaptations of Tarzan, the man raised by apes.

columbia2.jpgcolumbia.jpg
Columbia Stage.JPG
Walking Tour Visits
Columbia sign.JPG

This project was developed by the Jefferson County History Center, in partnership with Historic Brookville Inc. and the Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce. Funding for this project has been provided through grants made possible by the Jefferson County Hotel Tax Committee, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Region, and Pennsylvania Great Outdoors