Architecture:

Brookville is the smallest community in the nation to have a full-service YMCA. The organization was established in 1904 at a meeting in the residence of Mrs. C.C. Benscoter. This Neo-Classical Revival building was built after a 1915 fire destroyed Mechanic's Hall, where the "Y" had been housed. In 1986 a major renovation was completed, including the rehabilitation of the storefront area, which was based upon the original 1915 architect's drawings. The upper facade is trimmed with terra cotta.


YMCA Basketball  001.jpg
YMCA basketball program
YMCA BAsketball game  -1942.jpg
YMCA -youth Basketball Game - 1942
YMCA Ping pong 1942.jpg
Ping Pong was a popular game at the YMCA in 1942


This project was developed by the Jefferson County History Center, in partnership with Historic Brookville Inc. and the Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce. Funding for this project has been provided through grants made possible by the Jefferson County Hotel Tax Committee, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Region, and Pennsylvania Great Outdoors